Are help desk jobs in demand?
Help desk technicians are in demand. According to the US Bureau of Labor, the number of jobs open to IT support specialists is set to increase by up to 12% by 2024.
Is help desk a dead end job?
Helpdesk roles are not necessarily a dead end for an IT professional’s career. There can occasionally be room for promotion and growth in some companies. You could become a product specialist, technical lead, or even move on to one of the technical departments within the company’s IT team.
What do you do in a help desk job?
Help Desk Job Duties
- Responding to queries via chat, email, or phone.
- Training other staff members on troubleshooting and diagnosing problems.
- Writing, editing, and revising training manuals for new and updated software and hardware.
- Providing technical assistance for questions and problems.
What certifications do I need for help desk?
Marketable certifications for help desk technicians and computer support professionals may include the following:
- CompTIA A+ Certification.
- CompTIA Network+ Certification.
- CompTIA Security+ Certification.
- MCSA: Windows 10.
- MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure.
What’s next after help desk?
After you’ve put in your time as a help desk technician and obtained some good entry level certifications, you can likely expect to move on to a job as either a network administrator or systems administrator. It could be networking or storage that piques your interest.
Is service desk a good career?
Working the IT help desk can be a great entry-level job. As a help desk professional, your core responsibilities are to provide technical help and support; that could mean setting up and repairing computers or responding to a customer’s question about how to use their computer.
What qualifies for help desk?
- the ability to work well with others.
- knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software.
- analytical thinking skills.
- knowledge of engineering science and technology.
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail.
- customer service skills.
- excellent verbal communication skills.
How can I get help desk job?
To become a help desk technician, you first must complete a high school diploma or equivalent. Though some jobs require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, some help desk tech jobs only require an associate degree and on the job training.