How do you create a hurricane preparedness plan?
10 Steps to Prepare for a Hurricane
- Make a plan. If evacuation is necessary, turn off all utilities and follow community disaster preparedness plans.
- Secure the exterior.
- Install storm shutters.
- Check wall hangings and art.
- Move your cars.
- Power up.
- Unplug appliances.
- Store important documents.
What 3 items should people have to prepare for a hurricane?
Be sure to prepare the following:
- An emergency food and water supply.
- An emergency medicine supply.
- Emergency power sources such as flashlights (don’t forget extra batteries).
- Safety and personal items.
- Important documents, including medical documents, wills, passports, and personal identification.
- A fire extinguisher.
What should be in a hurricane preparedness kit?
Basic Disaster Supplies Kit
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert.
- First aid kit.
- Extra batteries.
- Whistle (to signal for help)
What are six steps you should take to prepare for a hurricane?
Six Steps to Prepare for Severe Storms
- Be in the know! Check out the NWS website for detailed information on all types of weather alerts and safety information.
- Create an emergency kit and a plan.
- Gather documentation.
- Identify appropriate shelters.
- Ask Experts.
- Stay Connected to Local and National Alerts.
How can kids prepare for a hurricane?
BEFORE A HURRICANE:
- Have a disaster plan.
- Have a pet plan.
- Board up windows.
- Bring in outdoor objects that could blow away.
- Make sure you know which county or parish you live in.
- Know where all the evacuation routes are.
- Prepare a disaster supplies kit for your home and car.
Should you stay in your car during a hurricane?
Protecting your car from a hurricane typically involves sheltering it from high winds and water. Consumer Reports recommends parking your car in a garage if possible. If you don’t have a garage, consider parking your car close to a building, says AutoTrader, which can offer at least partial protection from high winds.
What to do for hurricane preparedness?
Prepare for a hurricane: Take basic steps now to ensure your safety should a storm hit. Get emergency supplies: Stock your home and your car with supplies. Make a plan: Create a family disaster plan. Avoid flooded areas: Take precautions before, during, and after a flood.
What you should know about hurricane preparedness?
Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit. The first step in preparing for a storm is putting together an emergency kit that’s easily accessible.
What safety precautions to prepare for a hurricane?
Leave low lying areas. Protect windows with plywood boards, or storm shutters. Secure outside objects. Make sure you have plenty of fuel and water. Have several days supply of food and water for each family member. If called to evacuate, do so immediately.
What do you need to prepare for a hurricane?
Prepare for hurricanes with a supply of drinking water. You should have bottled water on hand. Some people will clean and rinse their bathtubs and fill them with tap water to use as additional drinking water during a hurricane.